eRmail

Monday, August 15, 2011

MGZR

MGZR


MGZR




I owned MGZR car for almost 2 years between 2008 and I sold it in January 2010 after upgrading my car. I was very fond of my MGZR, I had the 105+ version with a 1.4l engine and all of the optional extras. I had wanted an MG ZR since I first set eyes on one so was very pleased when I finally had my own!History of the MG ZR and options available.

[youtube]xuARwEl5T-g[/youtube]MGZR car was first made in 2001 (Y reg) and was made until 2005 when sadly the Rover plant in which they were made was shut down.MGZR cars were only available in limited colours, these included blue, yellow, red, green, grey and black.There were 5 series of the MGZR - the 105, the 120 and the 160 (which were all petrol engines) and the TD 100 and the TD 115 which were both diesel. The higher the number, the better the performance of the engine. The most common MGZR ones on the market are the 105 (with the 1.4 engine) and the 120 (with the 1.8 engine).
In 2004, the model of the MGZR had a facelift. When I was looking for a MGZR I actually preferred the older model so was keen to find one of these. I was lucky enough to find a 2004 model pre-facelift.In 2008 I bought a 2004 reg MGZR 105+ for just £3000. It had only 29,000 miles on the clock and I thought (and still think today) that the car presented real value for money. Currently you can pick up 8 year old MGZR's for between £1500 and £2000 or if you are looking for a slightly newer one you can pick up a 2005 model for about £3000 - £4000.

MGZR




The main thing that appealed to me about MGZR car was its appearance. I liked the idea that the MGZR car already looked quite sporty and it didn't need anything doing to it. I also liked the fact that you could get a 1.4 car which looked very nice. MGZR  worth noting that there are variations on the appearance of the car depending on whether you buy a plus version or a normal version. MGZR plus version has a slightly better bodykit and also has larger wheels which are of a different design. All of the MGZR's come with a factory fitted bodykit as standard, alloy wheels and a spoiler.
MGZR Inside the car there are also variations depending on whether you have the plus version. MGZR car had half leather seats and aircon but the normal versions tend to come with fabric seats.I remember the first time I got in the car to drive it - I was horrified! Previously to this I had had a VW Golf which drove very smoothly and the gears fell into place. The MGZR is a very hard drive. The gears are hard and to begin with I found it difficult to change gear, the pedals and the steering are also quite stiff. I actually thought there was something wrong with the car the first time I drove it but after much reassurance from my Dad I persisted and after a week or so got used to it and found smoother cars strange to drive!The 105+ versions acceleration is quite good for a 1.4, I remember being very impressed on its acceleration compared to my car before. However, I now have a 1.6 mini cooper and this is much faster!
The MGZR will cruise along very happily at 70 and I found it a nice drive. However, if you sit in the passenger seat it is a very rough ride! I think this is because the passenger seat is lower to the floor and there is no way of putting it up. I wouldn't like to be a passenger in one of these for longer than an hour or so! However, because I was the driver I found it fine!Petrol consumption was good, when petrol was costing around £1.10 per litre I could do about 100 miles to £10 which was a combination of both distance and town driving.MGZR had longed for this car for a good few years by the time I got one, I never thought I would have one so I was truly grateful for it when I finally got one! The car was very good to me. I averaged 14,000 miles a year and nothing ever went wrong (until a few months before I sold it - more about that later). When it came to its MOT it failed but only on a wheel bearing which cost just £26 to sort out. I was very impressed with the car as it was reliable and I knew I could trust it. I drive on average 80 miles a day (to get to uni) and I was never worried that anything would go wrong with the car.

MGZR


Some people are put off of MGZR's and Rovers because the company has now shut down and they worry they will not be able to get parts for them, however whenever I have looked at parts I have always managed to find them and at a price which is on par with other car manufacturers.
I adored the car for the first 18 months of having it. However, things suddenly changed! One day on the way home from uni (in the pouring rain, with no phone battery) I noticed it had overheated, which it had never done before. I was near my other halfs house so I stopped to see the problem. It had run out of water. I refilled and hoped that was the end of it but sadly it wasn't, the water would have to be topped up at least once a week and I was told by several garages it was most likely to be the head gasket which would cost £600 to fix. As far as I was concerned, I wanted a different car anyway so it was time to get rid! I sold the car in January 2010 for £2200 which I thought was a really good price considering what I'd paid, how many miles I had been and the cars problem. I have been told that this is a common problem in these cars so it is certainly something to be aware of if you are thinking about buying one of these.













 COURTESY BY http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/cars/mg-zr/1459971/

No comments:

Post a Comment

ermail